Wednesday, December 26, 2018

MIDI Week Singles: "Mario Adventures 1" - Super Mario Land (GB)


"Mario Adventures 1" from Super Mario Land on the Game Boy (1989)
Developer: Nintendo R&D1
Publisher: Nintendo


Super Mario Land is one of those Game Boy games that I played a bit of, but never owned since I was kind of late to the Game Boy scene.  I played either Dr. Potts', DellaƱos', or one of my other neighbor's.  The point is, I played Super Mario Land enough for this song to dredge up some good ol' preteen memories, but not enough for me to recall beating the game.

The great thing about this song, is that it is in now way similar to the "Ground BGM" (aka, the music everyone thinks of from Super Mario Bros.) that Koji Kondo wrote, but it still works in the context of a Mario Bros. game.  Hirokazu Tanaka has written, not only with "Mario Adventures 1" (which is the title from the Super Mario Land Original Soundtrack, whereas on The 30th Anniversary Super Mario Bros. Music album has the title as "Ground BGM"), but the rest of the soundtrack as well is just as original.

And I thought that something kind of old and nostalgic, but still fun and catchy would be a pretty decent way to close out MIDI Week Singles for 2018.  So, we will see you here again next year.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment