Thursday, August 15, 2019

MIDI Week Singles: "Last Respite" - Moss (PC, PS4, OQ)


"Last Respite" from Moss on the PC (2018)
Composer: Jason Graves
Album: Moss (Original Game Soundtrack)
Label: Materia Collective
Publisher: Polyarc
Developer: Polyarc


If you are only familiar with Jason Graves from his amazing work on the Dead Space soundtracks, then not only are you missing out on some fantastically serene music here, but like me until semi-recently, you may have unintentionally written him off as someone who primarily scores dramatic music to be played while ripping through a malformed mass of flesh and bone; the track "Sarffog's Domain" does contain some glints of Mr. Grave's past with the Dead Space series though.

Moss is a game that I have not played, but just listening to this soundtrack has made me seriously consider (just casually) picking up an Occulus Quest (because we obviously have $499 just sitting around with nothing else to do with it).  I do not even know how "Last Respite" fits into the context of the game, but the title alone is a bit foreboding.  And if this is the last time that our little mouse protagonist is able to take a breath before the finale happens, then it this is something that would remind me of the peace a quiet of home.  Basically Hobbiton.

There are two primary aspects of this song that first pulled me in.  The first was the warmth of the solo flute at the beginning of the song.  I can clearly picture a person sitting next to a glowing fireplace in a cabin-type setting playing this melody.  Then a [instrument] comes into view , The second is the melody itself, and how the it dips down to the leading tone before it resolving back up to the tonic (the resolution note).  I am actually going to stop the explanation there as my music theory is about 21 years rusty.

You know what, I am just going to stop writing alltogether as I feel the more I try to explain this particular piece, the more it will come across like trying to explain a perfectly crafted joke.  So listen to the song if you are trying to figure out what I am babbling about.  And after that, listen to the rest of the soundtrack.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment