Friday, August 2, 2019

Monthly Update: August, 2019


Bloody fookin' 'ell it's August already.  By now you should just expect that nearly every one of these Monthly Updates is going to start with an exclamation and show of astonishment that we are in a new month.  You think I'd be used to it by now, but nevertheless, I am still over here like, "How the hell is it August!?"

But here we are.

Let us start off with some sad first world problem news.

I had pre-ordered the Bayonetta amiibo that I thought was Player 2, being the design from the first Bayonetta game and when I picked up the order at Best Buy, I found out that what was actually shipped was the Bayonetta amiibo from Bayonetta 2.  And. . .motherfuckers!  Okay, sorry.  That stemmed from me going into my email to pull the image showing the amiibo I had ordered but Best Buy have now updated the image link embedded in the email to the correct amiibo so you'll just have to believe me that the image that was sent was not the image of the product that was received.  To note, I immediately returned the figure since it was not the one I had wanted.  But what really gets my ungulate is that this was originally a Best Buy exclusive amiibo back before I had any interest in a Bayonetta amiibo since I did not yet have Bayonetta on the Switch, and then sold out semi-quickly.  This, I thought, was a second release of that, but then it turned out that this turned into a GameStop exclusive instead of a Best Buy exclusive.  Back in April.  What this really boils down to is the same issue that has been plaguing the amiibo accessories since day one, coupled with one company purchasing exclusive rights.  Like I said, first world problems here.

But for new purchases for the Switch, there's Fire Emblem: Three Houses that I had pre-ordered back in July 2018 came through but I am holding off starting that beast until after I finish Octopath Traveler.  Oh, this game.  There is so much that I love about it, but there are things that I wish Square Enix had done differently that I will get to in probably two articles, hopefully after I finish it later this month.  I mean I am 96 hours in and will definitely be finishing the game with all eight characters.  It has definitely been a ride.

And Fortnite Season X started yesterday so I used my V-Bucks (earned free through playing mind you) and picked up the Season X Battle Pass.  I do feel a little shameful having put in over 250 hours (over the course of more than a year) into this thing, but I enjoy playing it as a way of de-stressing either before/after work, and inbetween playing heaving RPGs.  If Left 4 Dead  or an Ace Combat game akin to Ace Combat X (on the PSP) were on the Switch, that would easily take over as a fun short de-stressing title to not think too hard about while playing.  But for the time being, my $9.99 that I gave Epic Games last year has definitely been worth it; I mean it comes out to about $0.03/hour which is a pretty decent investment.

Lastly, the game that I started back in June and finished mid/late last month was What Remains of Edith Finch, which I have already talked about earlier this week.  That is a game that I really loved, both for how unexpected the game was (not surprising since I did not really have many expectations going into it), and all of the emotions it made me feel.

Oh!  And Conklederp and I just started the Curse of Strahd campaign with Elvisish DMing!  I am playing a Halflight Lightfoot Wild Mage Sorcerer.  We had a Session 0 last week and began the adventure, so I am pretty excited about finally heading back into Ravenloft after an absence since 2nd Edition.  We'll be meeting once or twice a month which I feel is pretty standard when you have a DM and five PCs.  So look out Strahd von Zarovich, we're coming for ya!  And we're probably going to die in the process.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian
I Am Your Pin Boy

No comments:

Post a Comment