Wednesday, August 28, 2019

MIDI Week Singles: "Tristram" - Diablo (PC)


"Tristram" from Diablo on the PC (1997)
Composer: Matt Uelmen
Label: Blizzard Entertainment
Publisher: Blizzard Entertainment
Developer: Blizzard North


I've been playing a fair amount of Diablo since it was released on GOG a few months back, and by fair amount I mean that I still have yet to defeat the Butcher.  On this current playthrough, I decided to forego my normal use of the Warrior and instead decided to use the Sorcerer, which ends up being my staple in Diablo II.  So with the Sorcerer, I have found that I end up going back to the town of Tristram quite frequently.  Especially in the early game when gold is a hot commodity and buying potions is somewhat out of the question (because paying to recharge the Town Portal Staff is more important) and healing from Pepin is free.

So I spend a lot of time in Tristram, and when you spend any time in Tristram, you end up listening to "Tristram" a lot.  Which is far from a bad thing because I love this song.  There is so many elements to this song that just click for me.  The guitar work, the lonely/breathy flute/whistle instrument at 1:40, the bassoon (or bass) that crops up frequently, the first appearance of the melody at 1:10 that Matt Uelmen has used again in Diablo II and Torchlight.  I could go on for a while longer, but then we would just end up with a bullet point list and that is rarely a good idea.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment