Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Game EXP: Final Fantasy VIII - Disc 2



I liked how Disc 1 ended, I didn't like how Disc 2 opened.  The prison area is just really boring with a bland environment, lots of party switching and not frequent enough save spots.  Party switching is super-cumbersome, and often times I go through the trouble of moving all my Magic and Guardan Forces only to have a very short sequence without any combat, and you have to move them all back. There is a 'trade Junctions' function during the party switches, but I inevitably don't remember exactly who was in my party previously, as there have also been some forced party arrangements.  Finally, there is no visual signal to confirm which direction the trade happened.  So I wasn't sure if I had taken any Junctioned GFs at all.  


Anyway, it's kind of a pain.  I imagine in later portions of the game it will be simpler, and I can more reliably stick to my top 3 party members (Squall, Rinoa and Quistis, for the record).  

I am still totally happy with the crispness of the high-resolution characters, though I have noticed that I sometimes get the feeling that they are more like barbie dolls, because they have these clear faces which only one, vacant expression.  Looking at pics at the original resolution, the images are much more grainy, but that just means you have to fill in the expression from your mind, and glean more from body language.  Ultimately, I'm left appreciating both ways of playing the game, which I think is a good place to be*.  

Though and option to play either high res or original res would be nice, I guess you can't have everything.  If I ever manage to get the PS Classic emulator running, I can maybe give the original FFVIII another look.  

The plot in Disc 2 really picks up after the initial Desert Prison scene.  There is a sense of urgency that permeates the rest of the disc.  However, after reading a Walkthrough on the game, there are some things that can only be done in Disc 2.  I wish I had checked the walkthrough earlier.    
  

Giant drills that are also prisons blocks.  Total FF technology logic.

No comments:

Post a Comment