Wednesday, January 8, 2020

MIDI Week Singles: "Theme Song" - Papers, Please (PC)


"Theme Song" from Papers, Please on the PC, OSX, Linux, iOS, & PlayStation Vita (2013)
Composer: Lucas Pope
Album: No Official Album Release
Publisher: 3909 LLC
Developer: 3909 LLC


I guess I have been playing Papers, Please in some iteration for the past seven years now and to this day, I have never gotten tired of the theme song, one of the few songs even composed for the game.  There is very little music in this game, with the this, the theme song, a song when you lose, and a song when you win.  That is it.  There is no music for you while you sit in your box stamping immigrant after emigrant after terrorist after migrant worker after refugee through to the beauty and bounty that is Arstotzka.  There is only work and the ambience of the nearby road.  

This wonderful piece of music, composed by developer Lucas Pope sells the tone of the game perfectly.  There are the even downbeats that start and finish the song, the glory of the Arstotzkan Government if you will.  Then there is the harpsichord-like melody that could be described as the populace.  Now I am just making things up, but you get the idea.  The theme is both beautiful and brutal in a similar way that Cold War era architecture is functional and oppressive.  Or maybe it isn't.  I've only taken a handful of music courses in high school and college and my only architectural background involves housing designs in early 20th century America.

And let me tell you, there isn't much better than sitting within 100 yards of an immigration checkpoint in Saint Petersburg, Russia while listening to this music.  That's something that I'm going to always remember.

I really like this song, and I'll leave it at that.



~JWfW/JDub/Cooking Crack/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment