Monday, March 1, 2021

Monthly Update: March, 2021

 



It's March.

I knew this would happen and not just because February has fewer days in it than the last February.  March is going to be a strange month for a couple of reasons.  First, this will be the one-year anniversary of our state going into lockdown mode of which we were brought out of it too soon.  A year since Conklederp and I decided that it would be safer for me to work from home, which I was thankfully able to do, but ended up being called back to the office in July as they were able to enforce social distancing between desks and put up a sign that at least says that masks are required even if not everyone who enters the office is wearing one [as I type this mine is actually dangling from my headphones cord because I was just finishing eating my lunch and drinking (more) coffee].  I will also be celebrating my second birthday of the pandemic.  It is now more than a year since either Conklederp or myself have been bouldering (the last time was Friday, February 21, 2020).  And it will have been a year since Breanna Taylor was shot and killed in her own apartment for perceived drug and drug-related money possession for people who did not even live at that residence (and who was currently already in prison) after her boyfriend fired at the intruders who broke into her apartment (the boyfriend said the Police busted in unannounced, the Police say announced themselves).  And Elijah McClain is still dead because he was Black in Aurora, CO and that was apparently offensive to the police there. And to date, more than 500,000 people have died from COVID-19 since March of last year which is a mind-boggling amount of people when you stack it up like that.

How do you work around all of this?  I mean that rhetorically, figuratively, and directly.  How are you handling all of this?  I've actually been pretty fortunate really.  I have a wonderful family (both in my house and all my friends I consider family who don't live in our house), and I have an amazing support network of people I can reach out to (although I don't really because that's just the way I am, but knowing that they're there is comforting as all hell).

Oh, and Former President Trump incited an attempted take-over of the US Capitol back in January by declaring for months that the election would be rigged if he lost and that there was no way that he could possibly lose and did you see how many people voted for him in November which was more than the number that voted for him in 2016 and how could he lose with those numbers and the Republican branch of the United States Senate were too worried about their 2022 re-election bids to do anything about it.  I know that was almost two months ago but it's still something that bugs the shit out of me if I think about it too much.  I should probably close that tab in my browser that I've had up for over a month.

Okay, moving on.

How about that Nintendo Direct huh? I mean, there were some announcements that I do not particularly care about (so I'm not bringing them up here), but I was kind of surprised by Nintendo HDing The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword considering how much of a demand I have seen (particularly) on Twitter for there to be HD updates of Twilight Princess, Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, or Majora's Mask be ported to the Switch.  I know a lot of people complained about the controls on Skyward Sword and I appreciate that Nintendo has given the player the option on how they want to play the game, otherwise they would be alienating their entire Switch Lite base.  I am also pretty stoked for Mario Golf Super Rush because as I have said a number of times before, is that I love me some non-realistic golf games and I do recall really enjoying Mario Golf on the N64, which this looks to be a supped up version of that.  I do not see myself getting too involved in the competitive online aspect of it as it feels like it could be very ripe for cheating and I really do not have any drive (eh!?) to play competitively, golf is already an aggravating enough sport to play with randos online halfway across the globe.  I just finished the demo for Project Triangle Strategy [sorry, project: TRIANGLE STRATEGY™ (working title) Debut Demo] and there will be an article for that either this week or next, but I have a lot of thoughts about that.  Surprisingly, I do not know how to feel about the DLC for Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity even though I love the game.  I think the idea of paying for access to extra characters and a few more areas (and weapons and clothing I think too) is not that appealing to me?  But I am only 27ish hours in and not even halfway through, so that thought may change the closer I get to finishing the main campaign (and all side quests).  As for the ports being ported to the Switch, I will probably give Fall Guys a go because unlike Among Us, I do not really enjoy engaging in online communications, and I am pretty excited about The Outer Wilds.  I am also (not surprisingly so, but maybe just a little) excited for the HD release of Legend of Mana even though I have only played two games in the series (Final Fantasy Adventure and Secret of Mana) and completed zero of them.  Maybe I should get on that?

And closing out February, I jumped on two #IndieSelect Games from Brazillian publisher QUByte Interactive, GEMiNi, and Spooky Chase.  At the moment I am planning on having #IndieSelect articles out on Tuesday and Thursday, which could mean that we'll have articles every day this week, but we'll have to wait and see. Because looking at my writing queue, I kind of surprised myself (a lot of that going on recently it seems) as I have a number of articles started, both games and gaming related.  So now I just need to pace myself and like everything else in life, find the time to get them started, proofed, and finished.

Stay safe out there people.



~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
Instrumental

No comments:

Post a Comment