Wednesday, July 21, 2021

MIDI Week Singles: "Ground BGM" - New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (NS)

 


"Ground BGM" from New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe on the Nintendo Switch (2019)
Composer: Koji Kondo, Shiho Fujii & Mahito Yokota
Album: The 30th Anniversary Super Mario Bros. Music
Label: Columbia
Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: Nintendo EAD

Before I started this article, I was not familiar with this song outside of New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe, and even then I could not hum to you the melody, and as it turns out, Koji Kondo wrote this theme for New Super Mario Bros. on the DS back in 2006.  It was then revamped when it was again used for the "Ground BGM" in Super Mario Bros. Wii in 2009 when it was arranged by Kenta Nagata.  This "Ground BGM" was then re-re-rearranged by Shiho Fujii for New Super Mario Bros. U in 2012 which was then just ported over to New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe released on the Switch in 2019.  It is not the exact same song that was written 13 years ago, but when you listen to the three iterations beginning with 2006, you can see where the song came from.

Oddly enough, I am not a person who finds the song to be a particularly great song.  Like I said before, I could not have hummed or sung to you the melody from this song.  Now, having listened to three different iterations of this song from four games, I now have it in my head and can (kind of) sing it, but only up until the "buh!-buh!" at 0:12.  But as it turns out, the song that I was just humming to myself was the original song written for New Super Mario Bros. in 2006, not this arrangement.  What I think it is, for me at least, is that the song is too jazzy and while the "buh!"s themselves are pretty catchy, I find that they break up the melody as opposed to being a part of it.

I guess it is semi-odd to pick a song that I am not head-over-heels for, but I wanted to justify my "eh" comment in my First Impressions article from Monday.  Maybe after playing New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe a bit more the song (and the rest of the music?) might grow on me a bit.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
It Warms My Cold Soul

No comments:

Post a Comment