Wednesday, July 28, 2021

MIDI Week Singles: "Manta" - Sky: Children of Light (NS)

 


"Manta" from Sky: Children of Light on iOS, iPadOS, Android, and Nintendo Switch (2019)
Composer: Vincent Diamante
Album: Sky Original Game Soundtrack Vol. 1
Label: thatgamecompany
Publisher: thatgamecompany
Developer: thatgamecompany


This is a short track, but it is one that definitely had an immediate impact on me when I was first playing Sky: Children of Light; this was also before I knew that I was playing an online multiplayer game.  In this section of the game, you are running around and prompted to jump on one of the large flying manta ray-like creatures flying through the clouds around you so that you can fly to the large temple in the sky.  When you finally do grab a hold of one (it took me a number of tries), this track starts, the music swells and you are left with this feeling of amazement and wonder.  Kind of like how you want to feel every time you step outside your door, or as Conklederp can probably attest, every time you step outside your door (room or tent) while staying in Yosemite.  It was a magical feeling in this game that I wish had pushed you through, but you can read more about that here.

For some context, here is a clip I took while playing on the Nintendo Switch, so it is only a 30-second clip but I think you might understand where I am coming from.


I first thought that this music had been composed by Austin Wintory since he composed to music to Journey, also by thatgamecompany, but I saw that it was actually by Vincent Diamante who composed the music for Flower, also by thatgamecompany.  I guess I'll need to lookup more music by Mr. Diamante now.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
Probing Deep Without Detection

No comments:

Post a Comment