Friday, July 2, 2021

Monthly Update: July, 2021

 


On Friday, June 22, 2021, the cop who murdered George Floyd because he was Black and looked guilty of anything was sentenced to 22.5 years in prison.  I do not know if that is a sufficient amount of time for taking the life of a man just because he looked guilty in the eyes of these cops, but at least it is something?  But George Floyd and hundreds of other BIPOC who have been murdered by police officers are not brought back by this sentencing.

Well, it kinda looks like things are opening up again in terms of the state of COVID-19 infection rates, although Delta seems to be doing a number in various parts of the world, part of which is not in the area where we are living.  Conklederp and I are fortunate enough to hang out around people who have been vaccinated otherwise we will still meet with people although it will be outside and with masks on.  I bring this up because, at the end of the month and the beginning of this month (and still currently going on), we decided to road trip down to see our respective friends and families and introduce Goblino to them all, albeit it not all at once because I don't know if Goblino (or us for that matter) would be able to handle that kind of socializing.

Over the last month, I realized something about the Game EXP articles I have been posting for the last X number of years.  First off, what I like about this series of articles is that the range between full-on reviews that go into mechanics, gameplay, music, and everything else about the game, and/or they cover how I played the game with only a little bit of background to keep the reader from being completely lost.  What I realized I had not been doing, was including basic game information, which is what I usually look for in articles and oftentimes have to resort to a Wikipedia article about the game to find out when it was originally released, or what systems the game was released on.  So I have decided that preceding my usual ramblings, I will be including the following:

  • The title of the game with a hyperlink to where I purchased/acquired the game and the system I played it on.  So if I played Metro 2033 Redux through GOG Galaxy, I will link to the store page over on GOG and if I played The Sinking City on the Nintendo Switch, I will link to the page on Nintendo's eShop.
  • I will list all the known available platforms the game is released on, but I will not be hyperlinking to those pages because I do not have the chutzpah to do all of that linking.
  • I will post the release date, which I know can vary especially when it comes to NES and SNES games which can have different release dates for different regions.  Then it can get additionally complicated when you have release dates for the original game and more recent release date for the HD remaster or the re-re-re-release.  I am just going to list the release date for whatever version I played.
  • Publisher:  In recent years I have been paying more attention to the publishers who release games and not just to the developers (see below).  And since I sometimes find that information helpful or if I am just interested in seeing other games a developer has published, I will hyperlink to whatever I can find in terms of a company page, which is sometimes a Facebook page, a Twitter account, or an actual real-life purchased URL.
  • Listing the developer made sense too because knowing which company developed a game can sometimes be confused with the publisher.  Such was the case for me with the original Dragon Warrior which I always associated with Enix, but was developed by ChunSoft and published by Nintendo in North America, but was published by Enix in Japan.
I feel like this is something that I should have been doing all the time since it is similar information for the MIDI Week Single articles, but I stopped there with that information instead of including writers, directors, producers, and best boys because all of that information is either not readily available, or it is readily over of Wikipedia and I would rather not copy verbatim everything from there.

I did not actually finish too many games in June, just Metro 2033 Redux which you can already read about, two playthroughs of Bad Dream: Coma (and it may be a few playthroughs of the last chapter more to see if I can get the final ending), and then finished Doki Doki Literature Club close to the end of the month.  I may be close to finishing Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity as there are some missions that show your percentage of completed missions in that particular region and in at least one, I am only at 60%, so there might be more game, or they are just accounting for the new missions that will come out with the Expansions Pass.  I am probably very close to finishing The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks if I can just pull myself to start playing again.  I think part of it is that I just have not been enjoying, for the most part, a lot of what was supposed to make Spirit Tracks a unique Zelda experience with the DS hardware.  Instead, I have a game that I have put 20+ hours into and not overly thrilled with the experience, which is sad because I really enjoyed Phantom Hourglass.

E3 was also a big'un, or at least for when I was paying attention.  There was actually a lot that I ended up not seeing during that weeklong event and I could list all of the things that piqued my interest but then I would just be rehashing that article, so I will leave it at that.

The current buzz that I am both excited and skeptical about actually lands on two fronts.  The first is that Amazon is creating a second season for Good Omens, which was a six-episode adaptation of the book by the late Terry Pratchett and still living Neil Gaiman.  As far as adaptations go, I thought Amazon did a pretty good job.  I remain skeptical about season two because the main plot in the book was already covered in the first six episodes, but I have read that Neil Gaiman is going to be the showrunner so that at least is a good thing.  The other thing is that there have been rumors going around for some time and then really picked up in the last couple of months that EA is planning on doing something with Dead Space, be it either a remaster or an entire reboot.  If you are familiar with me, you will know that Dead Space is one of my favorite IPs both in terms of primary video games and spinoffs and the two published books (by B.K. Evenson) as well as the graphic novels.  I was told that the rumor mill is saying that EA Motive (Star Wars Battlefront II & Star Wars: Squadrons) is the studio headed to develop whatever EA decides to do with Dead Space.  I hope that EA has learned that they need to leave the development of a game, specifically a survival horror game, to the developers and not try to put their whole fist in the pie.  And on the similar hand, EA Motive has only created sci-fi action oriented games, which is not survival horror (but I also personally don't consider Dead Space 2 or Dead Space 3 survival horror either, just Survival Action; They should have gotten people from IronMonkey Stuidos to work on this, but that is just my opinion because I loved Dead Space: Mobile.  The main thing that I am afraid of is that it is going to be a console exclusive (PlayStation or Xbox) which I honestly do not see happening, or that it will only be released on PlayStation, Xbox, and PC but the PC requirements will be far surpassing what my meager little acer can accomplish, so I will have to wait a number of years before I can actually play anything that ends up being released.

Okay, that ended up being longer than I had anticipated.

For July, let us make this quick.

I am considering cancelling my pre-order for The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword mainly because I am still out searching for a job, I do not know if I can justify slapping down $59.99 for a remastered Zelda game that I have not played.  I want to, and part of me is saying that the price is only going to go up because of asshat collectors who buy so many multiple copies of the same game and because of the hype for the sequel to Breath of the Wild.  I am also not happy about Nintendo's decision to release the Zelda & Loftwing amiibo which offers an ability that you cannot acquire in the game unless you have this specific amiibo.  I do not like that and I am not really wanting to support that decision.  You know, I think I will cancel my pre-order since the game comes out on July 16th and I can wait a couple more months.  Thanks for walking with me through this constructive journey.  We will see you Monday.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
Burden of the Evidence Grows

No comments:

Post a Comment