Friday, June 25, 2021

E3 2021 Wrap Up



I will be honest with you, we should not be your go-to site for E3 news, analysis, or in-depth insider information.  The most we can do for you is tell you what watched and what we actually liked.  I even considered not writing an article about E3 this year because I only read (okay skimmed) a couple of articles leading up to the start of presentations on Sunday, watched (fast-forwarded a lot) part of the Bethesda/Microsoft presentation, watched (only parts of) the Square Enix presentation (I think someone is out to kill Chaos?), then Nintendo's E3 Direct but only up until their trailers were over and none of the Treehouse.  That was all I watched.  I heard (on Twitter) that people were disappointed with Capcom's presentation for reasons that I did not look into and all I heard about Sony's presentation was whether it was better than the Bethesda/Microsoft presentation.  I heard a fair amount about Elden Ring, but only that people are dreading yet another poison swamp (but this time on a horse!) from FromSoftware, and I cannot say that I blame them.

Past E3 articles we have had have listed games that came across as interesting on one level or another, but looking at what was released and what was talked about on which system seemed too daunting considering the only console I have is the Switch and I am playing PC games from 5+ years ago.  It really just boiled down to feeling that I would be talking more out of my ass than I usually do with these articles, so I am going to stick to what I actually paid attention to.

Advance Wars 1 & 2: Re-Boot Camp - Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Switch
I never played either of these two games in this collection but I did play the spin-off Advance Wars: Days of Ruin mainly because of the post-apocalyptic setting.  While initially interested, I am not 100% sure if I will pick up this title because in DoR, I had reached a point where the opponent was able to consistently build faster than I could defend and I was unable to progress. We will have to see.

Fatal Frame: Maiden of the Black Water - Koei-Tecmo - Nintendo Switch
I only became aware of the Fatal Frame series while writing my article about weaponless survival horror games although I do have Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir but I did  not know that it was part of the same series.  Also because I did not have a Wii or a Wii U I did not come across this series, but if you could tell from the article, I have a soft, squishy, and festering spot for survival horror games.  I could not tell from the trailer but I hope that the gyroscope when in handheld mode is functional, which would work in some cases (handheld, Switch Lite), but not when using a controller or in table-top mode.

Final Fantasy: Pixel Remaster Collection Square Enix - Steam, iOS, Google Play
At first, I was pretty excited.  The trailer opens with Final Fantasy on the NES/FAM and the text, "The games that inspired a generation come to life once more. The origins of the FINAL FANTASY series return. . .in the ultimate pixel 2D remaster."  Then at the end of the trailer, they announce that the games I - VI will be released on Steam, iOS, and Google Play.  No mention of any consoles which nearly everyone on the YouTube comments (and probably Twitter too but I have not checked) is extremely salty about, and understandably so.  I too am disappointed in all of the consoles being left out.  Lastly, I am curious to find out if this will be a single package collection, sold individually, or the option of both.  Sure I have Final Fantasy on the NES Classic and the GBA port with I & II, then DS remake of III, and IV, V on the GBA, and VI on the SNES Classic, but I would love to have them for the Switch, and I know that I am not the only one.

I feel like I love the concept of what Nintendo is doing here, but I do have access to The Legend of Zelda, and The Adventure of Link on the Switch and I still have my copy of Link's Awakening for the Game Boy and a working Game Boy (clear Play it LOUD! edition).  I think what I like about this presentation is that unlike the Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros., the Legend of Zelda edition comes with three games where as the Super Mario Bros. is only the first Super Mario Bros. game.  The other thing that makes me wary about this is the temptation for scalpers to buy this up by the dozen and then sell them on eBay, or wherever kids these days are buying their scalped products (Mercari?).

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 - Nintendo EPD - Nintendo Switch
Very excited for the sequel to BotW, and with how much of what was shown in the trailer involved floating islands, it made sense to me why Nintendo would be rereleasing Skyward Sword later next month.  I even wonder if it will connect to events that happened in that game, of which I know nothing because I never played it (but will after it comes out).  I am also hoping that having since played through Hyrule Warriors: The Age of Calamity (or at least finished by the time BotW2 comes out next year) that having some history on a lot of the locations in this iteration of Hyrule might also give more feeling and depth to locations.  Lastly, with Zelda falling at the beginning of the trailer, I really hope that it is not that she falls, is captured by Ganon (Calamity or otherwise) and you have to spend the rest of the game trying to rescue her.  This game should be better than that trite plot line.

Metroid Dread - Mercury Steam - Nintendo Switch
This one came completely out of the blue for me, kind of like how Mercury Steam's announcement at E3 2017 felt like a huge surprise.  I was expecting either an announcement about Metroid Prime 4 or an HD remaster of the Metroid Prime series, but a new 2D Metroid game was not on the list.  I played Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate also by Mercury Steam last year on the 3DS and was, more than less, happy about their end product (although I admittedly have not played Samus Returns because I was already playing Metroid II: Return of Samus at the time).  I think I am just excited to play another/new Metroid game.

The Outer Worlds 2 - Obsidion Entertainment - Xbox X/S
I still haven't played The Outer Worlds on the Switch yet, but I have it and despite what I have heard about the main campaign being shorter than what people expected, I am still looking forward to this.  That being said, I saw that TOW2 was announced but I did not watch the trailer because I want to try to remain as spoiler free as possible.  And yeah, it is an Xbox exclusive, at least for now, and I would be surprised if it does not get ported to PC eventually as well as other consoles.

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origins - Square Enix - PlayStation 4/5, Xbox One/X/S, PC
While not totally against a 3rd person Souls-like Final Fantasy game retelling the origins of the first Final Fantasy, I do not know if this is how I would have done it.  Now, I have not played a Final Fantasy game since XII and while I did not like the visual aesthetic from what I saw of XV, this looks to be pretty similar, especially with the all-male bro team.  And while I have nothing against the graphics (that a lot of people said that the PS2 was calling), I did think the constant mentioning of wanting to find/kill/destroy/obliterate Chaos, a bit over the top, and not in the kind of way.  That is all I have on this.

Tony Hawk's™ Pro Skater™ 1 + 2 - Vicarious Visions - Nintendo Switch (& PC, Xbox One, PS4)
I know this game has been out for almost a year at this point (September 4, 2020 on PC, Xbox One, PS4) so this is a bit of an outlier.  It had already been announced to release on the Switch, so there is that too.  I never played the first game in the Tony Hawk series but I did play the second game in the series quite a bit back in 2000 on the PlayStation; I also played a lot of TH3 on the Game Cube.  Pretty excited to play these versions/visions of these two games and the biggest question for me when considering this purchase, is physical or digital, but I have already talked about that quite a bit here.

WarioWare: Get it Together! - Nintendo EPD/Intelligent Systems - Nintendo Switch
The first WarioWare game I played was Twisted on a Game Boy Micro and loved it, then got Touched! on the DS and loved that too.  So I am pretty excited for this installment on the Switch.  There does seem to be a fair amount of touch screen functionality though (or I could just be interpreting this from my experience on Touched!) so I am wondering how this is going to translate between the different ways of playing the Switch.  I guess I will just have to wait and see and/or hope for a trailer.


There probably are more games that I would be interested, especially in the indie game department, but I unfortunately did not catch any indie game presentations or trailers and that would require more research than I am currently capable of at this specific moment.  Probably in the coming weeks as more information comes out and I am able to parse said information, we will talk more about them, which seems to be about on par with us here.  Thanks for stopping by.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
Instrumental



No comments:

Post a Comment