Friday, June 4, 2021

Monthly Update: June, 2021

 


As of May 26th, I became another fully vaccinated person in the United States, being two weeks after my second COVID-19 vaccine.  In the US, we are almost under 100 deaths per day, but then again, the weekends have typically been days with either underreported, undercounted deaths, so 131 deaths on Saturday, May 29th may just be an anomaly.

On a more somber note, the independent commission proposed to investigate the insurrection of the United States Capitol building on January 6th, 2021 failed to reach the necessary number of votes for the commission to be created because senate republicans blocked the vote with a filibuster that was unable to be unblocked.  Also, everyone who voted against the creation of the commission in the House of Representatives and all the senators who voted to uphold filibuster to prevent a vote on the creation and adoption of the January 6th Commission are cowards, along with anyone who votes re re-elect any of these cowards are deemed cowards forthwith.

And somewhat related to the failed insurrection on January 6th, was an episode of The Daily's new series, Day X looks at the prevalence of far-right and extremist groups (as in neo-nazis with small penis') not only in the US military but in Germany's armed forces as well.

AND STOP RESTRICTING ACCESS TO VOTING BECAUSE YOUR POLITICAL PARTY LOST THE ELECTION.

And stop killing Black people, Asian people, Mexican people, or any other people because they're a different skin color than the police officer who pulled the trigger.

FUCK.

Moving on to our own first-world problems.

We had a bit of a scare a couple of weeks ago.  While accessing our site, I was greeted with a bright right page with a scary red exclamation mark in a white triangle on a red field along with a warning on Google Chrome that I could not access Stage Select Start because, and I quote:

Attackers on stageselectstart.blogspot.com may trick you into doing something dangerous like installing software or revealing your personal information (for example, passwords, phone number, or credit cards).

This came as a bit of a shock because neither Dr. Potts nor I are online attackers, hackers, trackers, or smackers trying to trick anyone other than large game developers that our daily page views are upwards of 10,250.  They are actually higher.  I did do a bit or quick research on how to resolve the issue and what I kept coming across was not specific towards Blogger and involved manually removing the offending "thing" on your website and submit a fixed report to Google for them to remove the warning.  But, if you submit the report too early, before whatever it was that caused the site to be flagged, then you could have the warning on your page for much longer.  And this was happening for every article we have written including our previous page, Two Boys and their Blog.  I eventually went to Twitter to voice my frustration to the ether and ended up finding a handful of other Blogger users who had the same thing happen to them, so it seemed more like an issue on Blogger's side than something specific with our site.  A few minutes (~20 minutes) the issue resolved somewhere and our site was back up.  So crisis averted.  Thank you for sticking with me through that long winded and pointless description of a near catastrophic event.

Now that our site was back up an running, let us get back to talking about video games.

I found May to be a rather productive month, finishing at least four games (Biolab Wars, Donut County, Journey of the Broken Circle, and Long Ago: A Puzzle Tale) and making progress on four others (Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, Metro 2033: Redux, and New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe) while starting two others (Bad Dream: Coma, and Doki Doki Literature Club).  I know I have not written/published an article for Journey of the Broken Circle but I have one in the works that will come out in the coming weeks.   I still feel like I am on the verge of completing Metro 2033, but I have felt that way for a while and I have not been able to find the time to sit down at my laptop to play a game, let alone finding the time to write and proof articles.  I cannot guarantee that I will have First Impressions articles for either Bad Dream: Coma or Doki Doki Literature Club, but I might because one is a point-and-a-click psychological horror game and the other is a romance interactive novel akin to Audition

So June.  

Once again I am debating if I want to participate in the next upcoming season of Fortnite, specifically Chapter 2 Season 7.  I guess it will depend on their presentation and what the Battle Pass has to offer as I have more than enough V-Bucks (in-game currency) to buy the Battle Pass without using real money.  Last season I decided to play to show support for Epic Games' decision to have a single player end-of-season/beginning-of-season event which typically had always been on a specific day at a specific time otherwise you had to watch on YouTube or Twitch to fine out what was happening in the storyline (yeah, there is a storyline in Fortnite).  Anyway, June 8th is the when Season 7 comes out, so we will see in the coming days what happens.

I had nearly forgotten about the existence of E3, but I am thankful that they have decided again to not have an in-person event and a number of the AAA developers/publishers are doing their own video presentations.  Nintendo's E3 Direct is slated to come out on June 15th. Because Bethesda was recently purchased by Microsoft it looks like Xbox and Bethesda are doing a joint presentation on Sunday June 13th?  And the last I heard was that Sony was not doing anything and instead will probably do another one of their queue-to-get-in-to-watch-our-presentation-event the following week, or maybe tomorrow?

Lastly, in the realm of games that I started a while ago and came back to are Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest and Mario's Super Picross.  Back in December, Donkey Country 3: Dixie's Double Trouble was released on the SNES Switch app and it got me thinking about the series and how I do not think that I ever beat DKC2 so I restarted the series and after playing through the first Donkey Kong Country, I moved on to #2.  So now I am facing King Zing, the boss of the fourth stage, Krazy Kremland.  In Mario's Super Picross, I had put the game down after hitting a wall of difficulty in Wario's puzzles; Mario's puzzles have a time limit but corrects your mistakes while penalizing you with negative time, while Wario's puzzles have no time limit but do not correct any of your mistakes.  So on Wario's Stage 9 puzzles, I was unable to complete six of the 15 puzzles after multiple attempts and that is where I have been for a couple of months; I already finished all of Mario's puzzles.  Then yesterday evening, I realized that I had also unlocked Stage 10 of Wario's puzzles so I decided to give them a try and completed the first two semi-large puzzles (they are sized 20 x 25) which was quite the confidence boost.

So that is really it, although there may be more that I am just forgetting about.  Finding time to write is occasionally difficult and I know every so often I feel like I have to reiterate that there may be times I skip days (like I did on Friday May, 28th) but that may be happening more frequently in the coming month(s).  So yeah.  Thanks for reading this far and have yourself another cup of coffee, because you deserve it!


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment