Friday, June 10, 2022

First Impressions: Diablo Immortal (Android)

System: Android, iOS, Windows
Release Date: June 2, 2022

Just a quick disclaimer.  If you are looking for tips or information about specific builds of characters, the best way to min/max your build, or how to subvert the $110,000 requirement to get all the swankiest gear in the game, we are not the site for you.  Everything you find here will be rudimentary information about a game that I have played for just about a week and put in maybe an hour or two in total; I just unlocked the bounty board.  That is where I am coming from.  I just wanted to mention that off before we got any further and you end up being disappointed because I did not say anything about the best places to farm Legendary Gems or Eternal Orbs outside of giving real money directly to Blizzard.

Now, some quick background information about my history with Diablo, which I already covered a bit in my review of Diablo III: Eternal Collection on the Switch.  I first played Diablo in 1996-97 although I do not think that I have ever beaten the game the handful of times I started characters in the past.  I have played Diablo II mostly as a single-player game and I did beat the main campaign although I never finished the DLC (pints of beer and laptops do not make good bedfellows).  I then played Diablo III: Eternal Collection on the Switch and beat the main campaign, started the Reaper of Souls DLC but only made it to the first village before stopping to give myself a break from the series.  I should probably go back and beat the first Diablo as I have it on GOG and restarted a new Warrior character.  Again. 

So, Diablo Immortal.  I am sure I could go on about playing this on a cellphone, as I do have a cellphone to play the game on and was pleasantly surprised that my phone (Samsung Galaxy S21 5G Model # SM-G991U) is still new enough that it was compatible and the game runs very smoothly capped at 30fps.  I tooled with the option to play it at 60fps, but the game warned me that this could overheat my phone and drain the battery a lot faster, so I left it at 30fps.  I did look at the display settings and saw no reason to change the tint of the game from Classic to Vintage or Cooler.  I left the rest of the settings alone since the game seemed to run fine on my phone.

Because this is Diablo, I was tempted to choose a mage as my class, but this being a mobile game and I was not sure how MMO and PvP the game was going to be, I decided to be the tanky Crusader and I liked that the default female Crusader used a BIPOC for the animation, and as often is my penchant in RPGs where you can choose gender and class, I decided to play as a female Crusader named Jaquonæn, which is the name I like to use if I am going to play in an online game with a female-presenting avatar.

The way I am playing Diablo Immortal is to have fun in short spurts.  If I have access to the internet (as opposed to gobbling up my WiFi) and I have 10-15 minutes to spare (say, during a break at work), I know that I can drop into whatever the game, do a lollipop loop, kill some monsters, open a daily login chest, open a first kill of the day chest, claim some items for doing something or other, and maybe head back to a town where I can talk to a blacksmith and deconstruct all my lootz that are not better than what I am currently equipped with.  It looks like a Diablo game.  The controls are simplified for mobile play.  There are no mana potions, but instead, there are cooldown timers for health potions and each skill, which makes sense if you do not want to overcrowd your gameplay screen with icons and buttons that your large fingers are going to have to swipe over so you don't rage-die.  I have found the button/icon placement of both the virtual directional pad and the skill buttons to not be intrusive and I have not noticed my fingers or hands being in the way while playing.

I personally am not concerned with not having the best gear or worrying about having to grind for endgame quality gear by the time I reach the endgame (which shouldn't surprise me that people have already reached the endgame for a game that was released just over a week ago).  I also have not run into any loot boxes or anything outside of what I would expect from a free mobile game that is looking to monetize its free-ness.  Maybe I am just being naive, but I have yet to experience anything predatory about how Diablo Immortal is designed regarding loot boxes, microtransactions, or other P2W behind the scene shenanigans.  

But what do I know?  I'm just here playing a mobile game and not cross-playing it on my 16k screen with my 47 teraflop octocore processor and 128GB of RAM like a real Diablo game should be played.  I am just here to have fun in a Diablo game, and for what I want, Diablo Immortal is a fun Diablo game that I can play on my phone regardless of how much I care or not about my endgame max build.  


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment