Wednesday, June 29, 2022

MIDI Week Singles: "Dr. Dupes and The Odie Clones" - Garfield and His Nine Lives (GBA)

 

"Dr. Dupes and The Odie Clones" from Garfield and His Nine Lives on the Game Boy Advance (2006)
Album: No Official Release
Publisher: The Game Factory
Developer: Lucky Jump Games

I have zero information about this game before I looked it up as I was writing this article, so I am not sure why Garfield finds himself in a doctor's robotics lab trying to find Odie amidst an army of robotic Odie clones.  I mean, I guess there is playful darkness to the melody as it bounds along, following Garfield as he beats/diffuses the Odie clones while collecting hovering cupcakes; you know, classic platforming stuff here.

What draws me to this song though are a couple elements.  First, there is the melody that kind of does its own thing from the start of the song until the 20-second mark when it gets interesting. That is when there is the first semblance of anything that could be hummed after the song is over.  But then, interspersed with the melody are boinging noises and two wonderful electronic hand claps.  Then at 52 seconds, right when you think that the song is going to loop back to the beginning revealing itself to be on a 25-second loop, we get this 1950s science fiction tone reminiscent of a percussive/xylophone Theremin that seems to be in nearly any sci-fi movie made since Ed Wood's Plan 9 From Outer Space along with that great boots'n pants beat.  For whatever reason, all three of those combined elements just endear this song to me even though I have never played Garfield and His Nine Lives and I really have no interest in playing it.  But this song, I dig it, and that is really all the justification I need.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment