Wednesday, June 1, 2022

MIDI Week Singles: "Nerevar Rising" - The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (PC)

 


"Nerevar Rising" from The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind on Windows & Xbox (2002)
Composer: Jeremy Soule *
Album: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind Original Game Soundtrack
Label: DirectSong & Steam
Publisher: Bethesda Softworks
Developer: Bethesda Game Studios

Yeah, it's this song.  The Elder Scrolls song.  First written by Jeremy Soule* during the development of Morrowind and released in 2002.

This song holds a lot of meaning for me.

I first knew it as a theme used in "Dragonborn" from The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim soundtrack and I was immediately drawn to this song when I started Morrowind in 2013.  I would often listen to the entire song upon booting up the game and just take in the distant drums as the piano and flute come up with the melody and is built upon playing through three times before fading out.  When the song randomly comes up in the game, it would just make the world feel so expansive and grand, and then once your character is "cured' of corprus, it feels like an anthem for this character.  Not a marching band national anthem, but a personal one with a full-on accompanying orchestra for deeds that would likely end up being attributed to other people as your character is forgotten by the population at large and remembered by only a few within a hundred years.

This was also the song that I and the rest of the wedding party sans Conklederp walked down the aisle to, although I spliced the song to itself so it would repeat with the opening drum beats rather than truly fading out.  I think it played two-and-a-half times, my memory of specifics of that day is a little fuzzy.

Goblino also enjoys this song, at least I think he does as we will sometimes just watch the trailer for the original release of Morrowind which plays the song in its entirety without Goblino saying "next!" when he is bored with either the music or the video.  It is something incredibly special when I know that I can share this music with Goblino and he is perfectly content settling in while this song plays.

Nothing but good feelings all around on this day.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
Un Bon Voyage

No comments:

Post a Comment