Wednesday, January 4, 2023

MIDI Week Singles: "Diet (Yuri Sakazaki BGM)" - Art of Fighting 2 (NEO•GEO)

 


"Diet (Yuri Sakazaki BGM) from Art of Fighting 2 on the Neo Geo Arcade (1994)
Label: Generation Series
Publisher: SNK
Developer: SNK

I like the energy in this song is pretty much the basis for the entire song.  I have also never played Art of Fighting 2.  Yet?

The song starts with instrumentation reminiscent of "Techno Syndrome" by The Immortals used in the 1994 adaptation of Mortal Kombat.  Not having played Art of Fighting 2, I am not sure if the sound effect that is used on beats 2 and 4 for the duration of the song is the punch/kicking sounds in-game, and I would find it super cool if it was, but I love the sound effect used here in lieu of the 80s pop clapping sound.  Even the theme that takes over at about 0:18 is similar enough to "Techno Syndrome'' that "Diet" invokes that feeling without coming across as desperately derivative; or maybe it does and I am just biased.  Then at 0:28 a new theme takes over again, it sounds kinda similar to "Techno Syndrome" again but also introduces the guy saying "One! Two!" for the next couple of phrases then comes back as an outro of sorts before the song repeats at 1:03.

I just thought this would work as an appropriate song for our first MIDI Week Single of the new year.  People making resolutions (Diet, eh!?), needing a little boost to springboard them (and myself) into some semblance of uplifting personal productivity is potentially a good thing.  And the song comes with your own personal trainer too to help you count off those jogging steps.  I don't know.  I just thought this would be an upbeat song to ring in 2023, whatever that means.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment