Wednesday, January 11, 2023

MIDI Week Singles: "Seagull Stacks" - Walkabout Mini Golf (MQ2)

"Seagull Stacks" from Walkabout Mini Golf on the Meta Quest 2, Meta Rift, Windows (2020)
Composer: Chris Reyman
Album: Walkabout Mini Golf Original Soundtrack
Label: Self Published
Publisher: Mighty Coconut
Developer: Mighty Coconut


From the first moment I landed in Seagull Stacks in "Walkabout Mini Golf '' I just stood there, taking in the view and listening to this absolutely gorgeous song.  I did not start putting, all I could do was take in the scene with Chris Reyman's music pounding my memory banks because I felt like I had heard some semblance of this song somewhere before.  Even as I listen to it now, I swear that I can hear elements of "Irish Eyes are Smiling" maybe hints of Randy Edelman's score from Gettysburg or elements from Howard Shore's motifs from  scenes in Hobbiton in The Lord of the Rings.  Whatever the similarities this song has to preexisting music, which Mr. Reyman discussed a bit in an interview with King of Nerds last month, his use of the pentatonic scale helps to make "Seagull Stacks" "sound like a lot of different things."

I have actually lost track of how many times I have listened to this track while researching where I thought I have heard elements from this song. Even if it was upwards of 20+ times, I do not think that it will ever become old, because having music that works outside of the in-game experience is just as important as the mood that it creates as you are standing hundreds of meters above the ocean while putting a 1.68" ball into a 4.25" hole while seagulls glide overhead.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment