Wednesday, March 1, 2023

MIDI Week Singles: "Road to Lavender Town: Leaving Vermilion City" - Pokémon Red/Blue/Green/Yellow (NGB)

 


"Road to Lavender Town: Leaving Vermilion City" from Pokémon Red/Blue/Green on the Game Boy (1996)
Composer: Junichi Masuda
Album: Pokemon Red-Green Super Music Collection
Label: The Pokémon Company
Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: Game Freak

Because this last Monday (February 27th) was Pokémon Day 2023I wanted to use one of the Road themes that crop up between towns and villages and I immediately thought about the first theme you hear after leaving Pallet Town.  But, once I came back to "Road to Lavender Town: Leaving Vermillion City," I knew that I wanted to use this theme instead.  

What I like about this theme is that every time I hear it, those first two seconds I cannot place what it is, and my brain just immediately labels it as generic background Pokémon music.  BUT!  By the 0:04 mark, you now have a full-fledged fanfare!  This always felt like heading into the end game even though it is more like the halfway mark since you still have half of the badges to acquire before going up against Giovanni.  But it is in Vermillion City that you acquire the Bike and once I had that speed demon, that was the only theme I heard any time I was on foot between cities (and not in a cave).  I really just love how victorious it sounds and makes you feel despite the problematic mechanic of keeping wild animals in captivity to have them fight for you.

But it is an excellent RPG with some great music.  So this makes it all okay.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
Toll a Bell for the Broken Hearted

No comments:

Post a Comment