Friday, March 31, 2023

Game EXP: Atari Greatest Hits Volume 1(NDS) -HIGH SCORES-

 


This is not the last article for our look at the 51 games in Atari Greatest Hits Volume 1 from Atari and Code Mystics on the Nintendo DS, this is the penultimate article in our nearly six-month-long series.  The purpose of this article is to again list all of the games in this collection, hyperlink them to their respective article, and give my verdict on whether or not I find the game enjoyable and worth coming back to, all in one place; although honestly I would not mind the frequent views to individual articles.  But this is something that I would like to see if I were looking up these games, so that is why we are doing it here today.  

I am going to categorize this list by how the game itself split up the games, first by the arcade games, and then the Atari 2600 games by genre.  Within each of those genres, I will be alphabetizing them as they appeared in the game.  I am also using the headers followed by a breakdown of the Yes:No; so for instance Atari Arcade (5:5) means that I gave this category five Yes and five No verdicts.  That is just how my brain works, but if you feel like they should have been all categorized alphabetically, then you are welcome to let me know.

The final scores/verdicts are:

Yes: 20
No: 31

Now, I would not take this score as me saying that this collection is not enjoyable, or unplayable, or not worth it (by 2010 standards).  There are 20 fun games in this collection, which is a pretty significant number of games that are definitely worth playing and replaying.  Some might even have been fun had I been able to play them with another person as they were originally intended, but my whole purpose in this endeavor was judging them based on their presentation in this specific collection.  If you want to pay between $9.99 and $27.99 for (what you hope is a legitimate copy of) the DS cartridge and you want to experience these games on that system with a somewhat (but still playable) small screen, then you might consider this on the DS.  A large number of these games are included in the recent Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration collection released on the Switch, Steam, Xbox S/X, and the PlayStation 4/5; specifically it only has 18 of the 40 Atari 2600 titles and missing some of my favorites like Human Cannonball, 3-D Tic-Tac-Toe, Atari Video Cube, and Star Ship.  But then again there are over 100 games across eight consoles and arcades, so there is that too.

Next Friday's article, "Game Over" will be my closing thoughts about the games I liked, the ones I did not, and anything else that I feel like putting down after revisiting these games.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment