Wednesday, June 26, 2024

MIDI Week Singles: "Skipity Beat" - BAISU (VSD)

 


"Skipity Beat" from BAISU on Windows, Linux (2024)
Composer: Bobby Christian Band
Album: Big Band Buzz
Label: Kutabov Music
Publisher: TripleDucks Studio
Developer: TripleDucks Studio


Surprisingly, it took me a while to find out any information about "Skipity Beat."  Because it was likely originally recorded sometime in the 1950s, I figured that it was more of a well-known song than it turned out to be.  It was only from a Reddit post that I found out the name of the song and the artist.  I had tried searching for the lyrics of the song, which is a pretty solid way of locating a song (apart from Shazam which I don't have installed on my phone, or at least didn't before I started in on this article), but all that came back were hits for 'skibidi toilet.'

So "Skipity Beat" by the Bobby Christian Band almost sounds like a demo in that the whole song is just under 90 seconds long, but in terms of BAISU, it's perfect.  There's the horn intro and tap accompaniment that is immediately recognizable and it only lasts for about three seconds before the male vocals come in, followed by the female vocals about four seconds later.  And every lyric in the song is true.  There is a skipity beat to the song.  The melody does move right along.  I can't really dance so I can't comment on the danceability of the song, but the background tapping seems to confirm this line.  And this does sound like an old-fashioned song.  I also agree that this song is bright and breezy and is in fact, very easy to sing or hum.  I've definitely caught myself humming and whistling it over the last week.

I don't know if there will be any kind of massive resurgence with "Skipity Beat," but it's nice to know that it will likely receive a favorable reaction from people who have played BAISU.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
Instrumental


No comments:

Post a Comment