Tuesday, July 25, 2017

D&D: Pathfinder - character creation

I'm excited to say that on 8/13 I will take part in the first session of a new D&D group!   We are going to be paying pathfinder, so I've been reviewing the rules at http://www.d20pfsrd.com/.  I'm having fun thinking of potential characters, and I haven't rolled a single die.  So far, I'm really drawn to the Hybrid Classes.  I want to make a Gnome Investigator or a Halfling Swashbuckler or a Half Orc Skald. 

I had never before heard of a Skald, but it's basically a Bard who is more angry.  He sings to inspire a battle rage in his companions.  He's basically the frontman of a Metal Band!  That is so cool.  But on the back end, a Skald can be healer.  I think this is very cool, depending on how combat oriented we are as a group, I definitely can consider playing as a Skald.

I just really like the idea of a Halfling Swashbuckler.  The idea of a little halfling jumping around, laughing loudly and fencing with panache.  It's just a fun juxtaposition, and I really appreciate a character whose bravado will outshine his small physical stature.  I think it follows in the lucky/foolhardy tradition of D&D Halflings.

Finally, the first character I thought of was a Gnome Investigator.  D&D gnomes are strange and sometimes obsessive, which I think really plays well into the Quirky Detective archetype.  I like the idea of playing a character who is highly observant, and drawn to strange details.  I'm considering making him a Gear Gnome, who is part of Gnome family that is building a replica of some important landmark.  He would have the sub-quest of finding specific minerals or gadgets or little pieces that he might take back to the family to add some minute detail to their model.  

Wow, I like all three of these characters a lot.  It's going to be tough choosing between them.  I wonder if the Swashbuckler would be the simplest to command.  The Investigator seems tough, because it has access to all of the Alchemists formulas.  The Skald seems cool, but Bards can be confusing, and I don't know if it will be a good fit for the group.   I'll have to wait and see, another 2 1/2 weeks to go.  Three great options is a good problem to have.

-D

2 comments:

  1. For our D&D SoCal group, Conklederp's going to be taking over the DM reigns for a short one-off quest so I rolled up. . . a Half-Orc Bard, who I was kind of envisioning as a pale green skinned version of Johann Hegg, the singer for Amon Amarth.

    All your character ideas sound pretty awesome and already seem to exude personality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Half-Orc Bard, great minds think alike :)

    I'm super into my character ideas. Of course, I realized later that I don't know what my rolls will be, so I may go somewhere completely different. Been wanting to make a cleric again, just 'cause turning undead is so sweet.

    Conklederp's going to DM huh? First time? Very exciting! Any idea what campaign you will do?

    ReplyDelete