Friday, July 21, 2017

Movie Review: The Void


A few weeks back, Conklederp and I watched The Void, an independent science fiction horror film that I had put on our Netlfix queue because the poster looked right up my tentacle filled alley.



I mean for one it's called The Void.  Then you have a person in what appears to be a cloak or robe of some kind, kneeling before an triangle shaped portal with tentacles pouring out of it, all in front of a backdrop of cosmic infinity.  Coupled with the sometimes-not-meaning-much "From the executive producer of [insert one of your favorite films here]" and you have a recipe for my own celluloided heartstrings.  

Without giving too much away, unless you go and watch the trailer, I would say that if you are a fan of John Carpenter films like The Thing, Prince of Darkness, In the Mouth of Madness, and H.P. Lovecraft inspired films like Re-Animator, then while I cannot guarantee that you will like The Void, you may at least be entertained throughout.

Both Conklederp and I very much enjoyed the movie, even when the Netflix DVD skipped for a couple minutes around the 20 or so minute mark, but neither of us would call it a perfect film.  There were some gaps in the story that we felt could have been filled. and at times the acting was what you might expect from your standard B-Movie fare.  We both agreed however that this was probably the closest film we had seen that approximated a story that Lovecraft would have penned had he been alive today; although I do not recall any racist or antisemitic under/overtones.

I give it 5.47 out of 7.89 Tentacles, because why not?



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment