Wednesday, July 26, 2017

MIDI Week Singles: "Story 4: Tower" - Fire Emblem Gaiden (NES)


"Story 4: Tower" from Fire Emblem Gaiden on the Nintendo Entertainment System / Family Computer (1992)
Composer: Yuka Tsujiyoko


As you may know, I am currently working my way through Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia on the 3DS right now, which is a remake of the second game in the Fire Emblem series, Fire Emblem Gaiden.  Specifically, I am trying to make my way up through Duma Tower for my fourth attempt.  While I love the updated music in Echoes, I wanted to know what the song was that I had been listening to (going on 6+ hours now) sounded like when it was originally released back in 1992.

What I find interesting about this song is that the music that is heard, being about a two second phrase, plays for the first 22 seconds of the song.  That is a long time to repeat a single two second phrase, but considering that this is the tower belonging to the opposing god in the game, perhaps that was the intent.  In FEE:SoV, upon entering the tower, Celica says, "The tower is massive. . .Oppressive.  Like Duma's power given form," which I feel is a fairly decent description of this music's effect on the player.  Then around the 30 second mark, there is a retardando that makes it seem like the song is going to transition into either a new theme or perhaps a. . .nope, and it repeats back to the beginning.

I have not listened to the rest of the Fire Emblem Gaiden soundtrack, but I would like to think that Yuka Tsujiyoko composed this song to not be overly pleasant on purpose and took a similar approach with the rest of the music in the game.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment