Monday, August 27, 2018

First Impressions: One Strike (NS)



I picked up One Strike last night for a stupid low price of less than $1.00.  It was an impulse purchase because I was getting heavy Bushido Blade vibes, a fighting game that I loved when Dr. Potts introduced me to it maybe 20 years ago?

Simply put, Bushido Blade was a fighting game set in Japan where you choose a fighter, equip them with a weapon, and fight.  Visually it looked a bit like Tekken(but less floppy) with katanas and war hammers.  What made Bushido Blade significantly different than most fighting games is that you could easily kill you opponent with a single strike, but not in the way that you could die from a single combo (two I guess) in Killer Instinct The trailer for One Strike seemed to promise the same feeling of a fighting game where you could kill someone with a single strike, hence the title.

Ha!! Blocked!

The one big thing that I was a little worried about, primarily because I was not sure about how the game would control.  The graphics looked simple enough, but maybe QubicGames over compensated by making the controls needless complicated?  It turns out that the controls are pretty simple with the L/R buttons and triggers activating a dash, B is defend (for a limited time), and Y is Attack.  With one character, I did find out that they require two quick Y presses in order to attack, the first to ready the weapon, the second to strike, but perhaps it is because that it was supposed to be similar to a nodachi?  Of the six playable characters, I have only used two, but I am very intrigued to see how others fare, and whether or not one feels more over powered than the others.


Ha! Killed!

From what I can tell so far, unlike Bushido Blade, here your character decides what weapon you use so there is nothing in the way of customization.  At least not yet.  I do not know if later in the game you can choose a color setting for your character, since you do go up against yourself in a different color scheme, I suppose it is possible.


So, of the 10ish minutes that I played on the Easy difficulty setting, it definitely is a game that I am going to play often, and in short bursts, which is what I was hoping that it would be.  And I have only played one of four of the possible modes of play, so I know that there is still plenty left to explore.


If you happen to be looking for a nice and semi-short fighting game that is bare bones in all of the best ways possible, QubicGames' One Strike is a very satisfying way to go.  Until you die.



Ha-ork!!



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

Their Blood Runs Hot as Fire

No comments:

Post a Comment