Friday, August 3, 2018

Monthly Update: August 2018


I feel like I can sum up July in six words.  

Battle Chasers: Nightwar.  

Fortnite.

Dead Space.

And for what it's worth, having a good old fashioned turned based JRPG and and two 3rd person shooter are a good combination of play style and mind sets.  Also the fact that Fortnite was free (without the $9.99 Battle Pass) makes it doubly awesome considering that I have presently put around 35 hours into Fortnite. Then taking the 15 hours I have put into Battle Chasers, and having played through the first Dead Space (for the third time), and playing through Dead Space 2 (for the second time) has pretty much been my video game playing for the month.

I did play a couple rounds of Paladins when that came out, and I will probably write about that game in the coming weeks.  I also played a bit of Dawn of the Breakers, which seemed like an over the top anime inspired mobile phone game that I have since deleted from my account.

And I should definitely mention Octopath Traveler seeing as how I did buy it, but have yet to play it.  I know it's a game that will eat up a lot of my time and I want to treat it like Final Fantasy VI considering those are what the visual design of the game reminds of.  But I do not want to be playing two turn based JRPGs at the same time.  I mean I might be able to enjoy both games at the same time, but there really is no reason to.  So I'm going to pull a 1990 move and swap with Beardsnbourbon so he can play it and I will finally take a stab at Super Mario Odyssey.

Not a lot happened on the movie front aside from seeing Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, which wasn't a bad movie, but during a scene where a character wakes up after being tranquilized and is threatened with imminent death from an encroaching lava flow was played out as a comedy bit, I knew the tone for the rest of the movie was going to be similar.  And I was okay with that, because they were fairly consistent throughout the entire movie.  Which is fine.  It's not how I would have originally wanted the movie to be, but I can accept that because I came out of the movie entertained.

And speaking of entertaining movies, Conklederp and I now have tickets for a screening of Back to the Future at Oregon Museum of Science & Industry with a lecture beforehand by astrophysicist Ethan Siegel (who apparently is a favorite of Portland?).  We saw Fargo a couple of months back which included a 30 minutes lecture that looked at the detective film, film noir, and "film blanc" genres.  We were apparently impressed enough that we're now going back.  Plus tickets ended up costing only $8 each with connivence online ordering fee.

Hmmm.

You know, I think I am going to call it.  Gaming wise, I see August being as similar as June.  We might have a D&D game thrown in there, but since both Conklederp and I can only make two out of four possible weekends, there is a decent chance.  And if not, maybe we can scoop some people up for another round of Mansions of Madness.  Because who doesn't like being swallowed by a house and deposited into the ether of some cosmic eldrich horror?



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian
Turn Around

No comments:

Post a Comment