Wednesday, August 22, 2018

MIDI Week Singles: "Title Theme" - Journey to Silius (NES)


"Title Theme" from Journey to Silius on the Nintendo Entertainment System (1990)
Composer: Naoki Kodaka
Album: No Official Release
Developer: Sunsoft



I guess the story about hour Journey to Silius started out is interesting enough (and short enough) to share here.  Apparently it started out as a movie tie-in for The Terminator but Sunsoft lost the licensing rights part way through development, and so Journey to Silius was born.  Unsure when Naoki Kodaka was brought on to write the music, I guess it is open to say how the music composed for this game might have changed had the movie rights been retained.

But what we have here is a Mega Man-esque title theme that is full of energy, catchy, and has a complex (at least to my ears) drum set up.  Even the gameplay is similar in its run-and-gunness that the title theme alone is able to capture.  A lot of the music that plays during each stage fits in well with the style of play well too, but I feel like it never reaches that same level of excitement that I felt when I first heard the title track.  Even a number of the metal/rock covers manage to recreate that feeling.

My only criticism of this song is at 0:43, when the song slows down for a bit, I want there to to be bass drum beats on the eighth notes with a snare hit on 3, until about 0:54 when the song picks back up again.  But that's just a minor criticism.

What I think my biggest takeaway from today's post, is that I apparently really enjoy Naoki Kodaka's music.  I guess I need to look into more games developed by Sunsoft.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment