Wednesday, August 15, 2018

MIDI Week Singles: "Town" - Thimbleweed Park (NS)


"Town" from Thimbleweed Park on the Nintendo Switch, PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, macOS, iOS, Android, and Linux (2017)
Composer: Steve Kirk
Developer: Terrible Toybox



Earlier this week, I have re-jumped back full force into Thimbleweed Park.  And with that, comes minutes upon minutes of having one of my characters standing out in the middle of a carless street looking through my inventory wondering what the hell I am supposed to do with this can of Poopsi.  And with that standing around next to the broken payphone on A Street, comes the music of the town of Thimbleweed.

What I find personally interesting about this song is that I get a combination of Twin Peaks and Torchlight vibes from everything from the opening chords, to the way that the guitar and piano intermingle throughout the song.  It is very much a song appropriate for both a film noire atmosphere, and a point-and-click video game that takes place firmly rooted in the late 1980's; yes I was alive and have conscious memories of 1987.

And while "Town" may not be the most melodically interesting song on the soundtrack, I feel like it is the song that sets the atmosphere for the rest of the game.  It puts you in the mindset to not only solve a murder, but to break into the minds of the citizens of Thimbleweed Park and wonder how some of them have functioned for as long as they have.  And that is why I love this song.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment