Monday, August 20, 2018

Return of the Clone Wars


I only started watching Star Wars: The Clone Wars a year or two after the last season (consisting of "The Lost Episodes" were released in March 2014).  In anticipation of the series returning after the announcement trailer last month, I decided that acquiring the entire animated series either before it became ridiculously expensive or discontinued (for whatever reason).  

After re-watching the S1E1 "Ambush," I recalled that the series didn't always air the episodes in chronological order.  So, knowing my penchant for experiencing stories in chronological order regardless of their original release date, I decided to look up what the actual chronology was, which was nice enough of Starwars.com to provide.  Something I am looking forward to are the advances in animation technology, how the voice actors portray their on screen characters, and if it is at all distracting when storylines jump seasons.  So far, from Season 2, to 1, to the film, to Season 3, I noticed a bit, but nothing so much that it took me out of the story.  And as I haven't looked over the entire list, it will be interesting to see how much the storylines jump between seasons, although it does look like the remainder of season 1 will be coming up soon.

So now, I am currently on S1E6 "Downfall of a Droid" after starting off with S2E16, S1E16, then the film The Clone Wars, which was the actual start of series.  Something that I have not really understood was the general dislike of The Clone Wars film, with a 5.9 on IMDb and 18% on Rotten Tomatoes.  Granted as a stand alone movie, it is still pretty rough in Tatooine's scenery, and some of the writing can be a little stiff and delivery is stilted, but it doesn't feel much different than some of the other episodes of the first season; or of a lot of first seasons for that matter.  While watching it snuggled between S1D16 and S3E1, the story being told fits in well.  It really does feel like what it was originally intended as, four episodes in a story arc that each have their own beginning middle and end.

Well, as S1E7 "Duel of the Clones" comes to a close as I finish up this article, I now have only 111 episodes left to watch in not quite the order they aired before this new series of The Clone Wars is released sometime next year.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment