Thursday, February 6, 2020

MIDI Week Singles: "Title Theme" - The Immortal (NES)


"Title Theme" from The Immortal on the Nintendo Entertainment System (1990)
Composer: Rob Hubbard
Album: No Official Release
Publisher: Electronic Arts
Developer: Sandcastle


It has been a long long while since I last played The Immortal on the NES.  I recall seeing the game in the pages of Nintendo Power and it wasn't until I purchased the game used from G&G in the Mall that I actually got to play the game.  Sort of.  Long story short, I still have the cartridge somewhere and I still do not think that I ever made much further than shortly after the first goblin.

So I decided to use the music that plays during the opening titles, which kind of comes across as your stereotypical medieval peasantry song that would play in an open-air market where you could buy a flagon of ale and roasted quail.  This song would not be out of place were it to have been used in either Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves or Willow video games.  What is great about this song being the title theme, is that it does not really represent the overall tone for the game which is a lot darker and more sinister than this jovial tune.  But that in part is what makes this song so great!  At least in my head anyway.

So nice job Rob Hubbard!  See, you are not just a one-trick pony, writing songs for skateboarding video games.



~JWfW/JDub/Cooking Crack/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment