Wednesday, February 26, 2020

MIDI Week Singles: "Dream Chaser" - F-Zero X (N64)


"Dream Chaser" from F-Zero X on the Nintendo 64 (1998)
Composer: Taro Bando
Label: Pony Canyon
Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: Nintendo EAD


I love this song.  Not because it has the catchiest of melodies, but because for me it generates a lot of fond memories from two specific race tracks in F-Zero X.

The first is Silence: High Speed, being the second track you race in the Jack Cup, which is essentially just a loop above a planet.  I feel like the whole point is to show off how fast you can get your car up to as the entire track is covered in boosters.  I played this track I don't know how many dozens of times, especially in the Time Trials mode where I would occasionally fly off of the track because of how fast (usually around 1,300-1,400 kph) you could be traveling.  The number of times my car blew up as I crossed the finish line from spamming the boost power ability was also probably pretty hilarious.

The second track was Silence 2: Wavy Road, being the second track in the King Cup.  Again, playing the Grand Prix a lot, I found that on a decent run, I would make it to the wavy section at about 0:28, which for whatever reason played great at that point in the race track.  The track itself was fairly unremarkable considering it is part of the more advanced race tracks of King Cup including tracks like Sector β, and White Land 2, but for me, the use of Dream Chaser makes this track memorable, hence why I seem to have remembered it after 20+ years.

And hell, if a lackluster race track can be made memorable by a piece of music, then you can be sure that I will want to share that with the rest of the world.



~JWfW/JDub/Cooking Crack/Jaconian
Fear Nor Regret What You Will See

No comments:

Post a Comment