Sunday, February 2, 2020

Monthly Update: So now what?

Well, I finished FFVIII and now I am already feeling its absence.  It was so nice being able to boot it up and play a few minutes here and there.  I have a few more games on the Switch, though none are really calling to me right now.  I also have several PS3 games I haven't played, including FFXII, which feels like the next logical game.   Unfortunately, it's tied to the home, which I've discovered is a real factor now as I've really enjoyed playing my Switch on the go.   

I am really loving my Switch system.  I will play at lunch, or on a 15 minute break.  Or on nights when Jane is cooking dinner and I've got an hour to spare. FF VIII was a great game for these times, as I would just grind levels during that time.  For this reason, I am sorely tempted to pick up a copy of FFXII on the Switch!  Of course, I would feel a little guilty for not playing the version that I already have (generously passed to me by Jaconian).  I'm also tempted to just start FFVIII over from the beginning, as I mentioned in my closing review of that game.  I could play FFVIII at work, and play FF XII at home.  That could work.  I'm just a little concerned that I'll get a certain distance into FF XII and decide I really would like to put all of my focus in that game, and then buy it on Switch and have to start over! 


It's an embarrassment of riches with the Final Fantasy series.  I'm even thinking about playing FFXIII again, and that game was riddled with problems!  (it does have skippable cutscenes though, so I could be really into that)  It turns out that JRPGs are just the right speed for what I want in video games right now.  

Another little piece of info is that my PS3 is no longer in our front room.  We moved some things around and the PS3 lost its spot on the surge protector.  Besides, it wasn't working as a DVD/BluRay player because the fan was so loud it was distracting.  So now I'm wanting a new BluRay player.  But, if I were to get a BluRay,  why not just go whole-hog and buy a PS4?  Over the holiday, there were some pretty amazing PS4 deals, like $200 with 3 best-selling games.  I nearly broke down and bought one.  There are still some games that aren't on the Switch that I'm very interested in.  

But who has the time?  I enjoy playing this game where I come up with a list of things I want, and then talk myself back down off the ledge.  I probably will buy a PS4 sooner or later.   I have no doubt the sales and bundles will continue.  A shame it's not backwards compatible though.  

Let me know what you think, should I bite the bullet and buy FFXII on the Switch?  I could always use the PS2 version for display, as it has a great case, and I have yet to buy a physical copy of a Switch game.  What about the PS4?  Is there something I just shouldn't miss?  Opinions welcome.

-D

No comments:

Post a Comment