Wednesday, May 17, 2023

MIDI Week Singles: "Title BGM" - The Legend of Zelda (NES)

 


"Title BGM" from The Legend of Zelda on the Nintendo Entertainment System (1986)
Composer: Koji Kondo
Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: Nintendo R&D4

Surprisingly, in the eight years we have been doing MIDI Week Singles, we have only pulled from the original The Legend of Zelda one time six years ago.  Since everyone, myself included, is on a Legend of Zelda kick at the moment (tack on another 150+ hours likely), I thought we should return to the original game, and with that, we have the original title music, gracefully titled, "Title BGM."  Leave it to Koji Kondo to write amazing music and have simply descriptive titles for his songs.

"Title BGM" is my preferred version of this theme as it is the "Overworld BGM" theme, but it comes across as grander and befitting of the legend you are about to experience.  The melody is the same, or at least all of the parts are there that you hear in "Overworld BGM," but it is the way that the song starts off slow and dramatic before the "BolĂ©ro" drums kick in and the waterfall inexplicably really starts going and that is when you are given the cliff notes lore of Hyrule.  Any time I would play this game, I would let this music play through the opening sequence at least once, sometimes twice, before I would start the game and hear the more march-like driving "Overworld BGM."

Just a classic that I have already used up too many words on.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
I'll Say These Final Words My Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment