Monday, May 1, 2023

Monthly Update: May, 2023

 


You know, for a hot second there, I was writing this as if we were going into April, but no, we are now in May.  Somehow.

Somewhat related to my updates for March and April, but also not, Conklederp and I have not been to the theater since the pandemic started.  We also now have a two-going-on three-year-old so we are firmly in babysitter territory if we wanted to do anything that would not live up to the aforementioned almost three-year-old's attention span or was an indoor place that served alcohol.  We do have semi-built-in child care in the form of Conklederp's parents if they are in town and not busy, and we do not want to saddle Conklederp's brother TonTon with looking after The Squire since he's got his own stuff going on.  Plus the thought of going into a theater right now is what Conklederp would likely refer to as "absolutely not."  And I honestly do not know how I would feel about going into a theater right now either, partly because of being around any given number of people in a closed room for 90+ minutes, but there would also be the guilt of going out to a movie by myself and leaving Conklederp and The Squire at home.

All of that to say that I fully acknowledge that both the Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves and The Super Mario Bros. Movie are both movies that we would normally have covered by this point in their respective release schedules.  But unless we get words from Dr. Potts before either of the movies are released on Blu-Ray/Streaming, then you will just have to wait until then to hear about either of these movies from us here.  I just did not want anyone to think that we had unintentionally missed either of these movies, had no interest in them, or Bhaal forbid, just did not know about their existence.

Speaking of Bhaal, I am finishing up "Darkwell," the third book in "The Moonshae Trilogy," being the first published books to take place in The Forgotten Realms campaign setting (where Honor Among Thieves takes place, as well as 80% of D&D video games [citation needed]).  In the second book, it is revealed that the demon from the first book, Kazgaroth was under the "control/influence/direction" of Bhaal, the God of Murder to wreak havoc on the Moonshae Isles.  Not having read any previous story to feature Bhaal as an antagonistic main character with a point of view at varying times, I had always approached Baldur's Gate from a particular point of view, but after reading this book, I have thought about your character, one of the Bhaalspawn differently, and because of this book, I once again want to rerererererereplay Baldur's Gate, but with a completely different character.  Most of my previous iterations have been either some variation on a Fighter/Thief Halfling, a Half-Elven Mage, a Half-Elven Cleric, or most recently, a Human Fighter (based on the character stat block for Abdel Adrian from "A Murder in Baldur's Gate", although I flipped the name to be Adrian Abdel and played them as a woman).  

The point is, that I am likely to replay Baldur's Gate again soon, this time with another human, but multiclassing as a Thief/Cleric, and that I will not be starting out as my typical True Neutral alignment.  I have realized that the characters I create in Baldur's Gate are all non-interesting from a narrative perspective.  They do good and help people because that is what makes following the story most accessible and is the easiest/fastest way to earn XP and level up.  I think anyway because again, that is the only way I have played.  This time around, I plan on roleplaying (or at least trying to) a Neutral Evil character, heavily influenced by being a Bhaalspawn, but that over the course of their travels/adventures, will convert closer to a True Neutral or Neutral Good alignment (maybe by the end of Baldur's Gate II?  Of course, this is assuming that I finish Baldur's Gate because as The Kid knows, that is an easy game to start but difficult to muster up the gusto to see through to the end.

Although maybe I will wait until I read a few (dozen?) more books?

Also, stop shooting people because you have an inferiority complex mashed together with an overblown mentality of white persecution all while trying to compensate for the fact that you have not matured since you were two and lash out at any and everything that you are told is supposed to frighten you.  Or you know, just don't shoot people.  Period.

Bigotted assholes.



~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment