Friday, May 12, 2023

More Thoughts on The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Systems: Nintendo Switch
Release Date: May 12, 2023
Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: Nintendo EPD 

Well, by the time this article goes out on Friday morning, I will have played 0 hours, 0 minutes, and 0 seconds of Tears of the Kingdom because I ordered the physical version of the game on January 15, 2022 (when it was still $59.99 and thankfully Amazon honored that price despite the $10 price jump earlier this year) and I will be at work when the game is delivered.  So I have nothing to report on or comment on about the game, but I still felt the need to put something out today about one of the most anticipated releases for the Switch this year.  I apologize for the implied deception.

I have watched the various trailers, but I stayed away from watching the gameplay demonstration from last month for a couple of reasons.  First and foremost, when I played Breath of the Wild, I never played around with the Sheikah Slate and runes to try and do crazy stuff like trying to launch Link from the starting Plateau all the way to Hyrule Castle before earning the glider.  For me, the Sheikah Slate was a tool I used to solve puzzles and throw bombs while I explored Hyrule, primarily on foot.  I do not want the potential anxiety about trying to Scribblenauts my way to find a solution clouded by what other people have already done.  I mean, I do know about the new mechanics like the recall ability and the fuse ability, but I am more interested to see how the game introduces all of these new game mechanics without having preconceived notions about how I am going to use those abilities before I even play the game.  I feel like I know Nintendo games well enough for them not to have expected that everyone will have watched a trailer as a form of tutorial before playing the game to not have a classic in-game tutorial.

I think I am also excited to play another LoZ game that is a direct sequel.  While not common, I personally had not realized that nearly half of the LoZ games are in fact direct sequels as I usually tend to think of only Zelda II: The Adventure of Link and Majora's Mask being the only direct sequels; 

  • The Legend of Zelda -> Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
  • A Link to the Past -> Link's Awakening
  • Ocarina of Time -> Majora's Mask
  • Wind Waker -> Phantom Hourglass
  • A Link Between Worlds -> Tri Force Heroes

Really I am just excited to revisit the Legend of Zelda world that was created in Breath of the Wild, being the third game now to visit this creation (yes, Age of Calamity counts, @ me all you want) and I am fully expecting connections to Skyward Sword, which I am thankful I was able to play before this came out because 

That is really all I feel like I can say about Tears of the Kingdom.  I am excited about a new Legend of Zelda game for the first time in a long time (I think the last LoZ game I pre-ordered might have been Majoria's Mask back in 2000 as I do not remember when I bought Wind Waker, The Kid bought me Twilight Princess around 2015 I think, and my in-laws gave me Breath of the Wild for Christmas in 2017).


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment