Monday, May 15, 2023

Not a First Impressions Article for The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

 

I could not tell you how much time I have spent playing The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom so far because neither the game itself tells you how long you have been playing and the Switch still only tells you in increments of 5 after a certain number of days after first playing the game (and I do not have the child watching installed on the Switch which can give you a breakdown of time spent).  The point is, I have put in a healthy amount of time in this updated version of Breath of the Wild's Hyrule. Most of that time has been in the starting tutorial-esque area which is pretty massive in its own right. I am 100% confident that there are things that I have missed as I unlocked some of the various new game mechanics (I will not get into them here because that is not the purpose of today's brief article).

The point of this article is to illustrate why I do not have an article ready for today (Monday, May 15th).


Yes.  No surprise to anyone, I have been playing Tears of the Kingdom and the one thing I want to emphasize is that failing in this game is actually a lot of fun, or at least it is for me in the early game.  Whether from a construction project gone awry or a device not functioning the way I was anticipating, unexpected results can be more amusing than frustrating.

Like testing to see if Link himself is flammable.  He is.  And so is his wooden gear, and so is the grass.  Things I probably should have remembered from Breath of the Wild.

Or like trying to figure out why a particular contraption failed and left you plummeting towards your death, or at least, leaving you with one less heart.

Or not realizing that the device you are standing on has a lifespan of its own and decides to disappear while you are still quite a ways up in the sky.


Or potentially exploiting a feature of the game (completely by accident) that resets your fall distance if you momentarily cling to a surface even after freefalling at terminal velocity for at least the last 45 seconds.  That is my only explanation.

So yeah, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is a lot of fun so far, even if I am not playing at my most efficient or really playing all that well by my own pedigree standards.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
And Attacked On His Own

No comments:

Post a Comment