Wednesday, May 24, 2023

MIDI Week Singles: "Warning" - 3D Tetris (NVB)

 


"Warning" from 3D Tetris on the Nintendo Virtual Boy (1996)
Composer: Ken Kojima
Album: No Official Release
Publisher: Nintendo
Developer:T&E Soft

Music that plays before a game even gets to the title screen to direct you to read the instruction manual is not music that I would have pegged to be this catchy.  And while most of the gaming community wrote off Nintendo's first foray into virtual reality with the Virtual Boy, I actually find the music here to be quite chill.  And I guess that makes a lot of sense since you probably do not want a high-energy banger to play while you expect people to be reading about health and safety information.  I think that is why this song stuck out to me, is that I went into the music from 3D Tetris with little to no expectations of finding a song that would be interested in (although I could not tell you why because I love the music from the NES version of Tetris, the Game Boy version of Tetris, Dr. Mario, Tetris Attack).

That is really all I have for this song.  It's short, it's chill, it's hummable.  It is everything you want from a song that is telling you to go and read the instruction and precaution booklets before operating.  If only all music that played during health and safety online seminars was as good.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
Where Can I Hide My Keys From Everyone?


P.S.  I have played a Virtual Boy once, at KB Toys at our local mall.  I don't remember exactly which game was in the system at the time, maybe Mario's Tennis as screenshots of that game look somewhat familiar.  I am a little saddened that 17-year-old me decided not to spend the $80 that KB Toys was charging for the system as it was on its way out.  But I probably used that money to buy Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire for $75.

No comments:

Post a Comment