Thursday, March 28, 2019

Dead Sticks, browser game



Dead Sticks is a simple browser by developer supernapie.  I've been enjoying this game,  it's fallen into a new category that I hope to expand, called 'games I can play at work.'  

Up to this point, it's pretty much been online chess at Gameknot.com  but sometimes I get tired of chess, or chess becomes too intensive.  And I want a little variety. 

both Dead Sticks and chess work well because they are one move at a time.  I can sneak over an make a move, and then take off.  I need to be able to dedicate less than a minute to each play, and I need to be able to drop it at a moments notice.  For this reason action games are completely out.  As are puzzle games that are actually quite action oriented, such as Tetris.  Single clicks, that's what I need.

Dead Sticks meets the requirements nicely.  Simple puzzles, requiring a series of clicks in the right order.  The sticks fall apart based on me loosening the pieces.  The image is abstract enough that it isn't instantly recognizable as a game, which is helpful. 

I've never actually been called out for casually gaming at work, but I have set up my own rationale as to what is allowed.  It seems to be working so far.  

Also:  Dead Sticks is available at itch.io, which is a website I've been meaning to check out more often.  A few of the game devs I follow on twitter use itch.io, and it seems like a great platform for independent developers to make a buck or two and get their stuff out to their audience.  

-D

No comments:

Post a Comment