Tuesday, March 5, 2019

First Impressions: DeadSpace (PS3)




So far, this game is great!  I really love the choice to make the menus a physical part of the game.  It's *so* stylish, and really well done.  The controls are intuitive, though I am accustomed to a different firing button, so that will take a little time to get used to.  I love having a button to hold up my weapon, so I'm constantly in aiming mode as I go around corners or open doors. 

The enemy design is nice and disgusting and very reminiscent of John Carpenter's The Thing.  When a hideous monster with human legs charges at me,  I am suitably grossed out.  I also enjoy the general sci-fi horror sense of it, that the game takes place within one large ship.  And, of course, it is reminiscent of the Alien series. 

It's noteworthy that I chose to play on 'easy' mode, and I htink it was the right decision.  On the one hand, I have so many items that I'm constantly running out of slots.  On the other hand, it's fairly easy so far, and I haven't died yet in about 2.5 chapters.  This is nice, it helps me move forward at a steady pace, and reduces the stress of worrying about dying.  Also, it's nice to feel like I am effective at dispatching monsters. 

Also, I like the idea of dismembering the monsters.  it gives me something to aim at, and a sensible way to stop them from coming.  It's a variation on head-shots, and in general I find aiming pretty easy in this game.  I enjoy the basic weapon, with it's 3 reticles. 

Two little criticisms:  it's weird the way you just kind of kick bodies around when you run into them.  Tehy are like light ragdolls and it can be distracting-- sometimes I think it's a live enemy, other times I think it just looks really silly.  This must have been hard for the developers to fix, because it's really front and center, and I noticed this right away.  Second is the 'store.'  -- it's very 'gamey.'  Like, here I am, horrified and running for my life, monsters everyone, and then I just stumble onto a weapon store.  Like.. uhhh, like any ship would have.  Right?  Just buy yourself some guns and armor from a vending machine. 

It's just a funny thing I notice, and it seems to be common in modern games (2008 is modern to me).  They are much more immersive, but still very much games.  That's one thing I'll say for Bioshock, is that they wrote the existence of weapon vending machines into the story in a somewhat compelling way.  I love having these RPG elements in games, but it's not always necessary- I'm sure this game would be fine without a store. 

These small criticisms aside, I'm really enjoying Deadspace. 

-D

No comments:

Post a Comment