Tuesday, March 19, 2019

First Impressions: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)




Well, I wasn't sure I would try this one, but I found it for $6.99 at Dimple records, so I said 'what the hell?'

So what's the deal with FFXIII?  I've heard a lot of criticism of the game, and that is generally regarded with disappointment.  So how much of this is about expectations?  I have been lucky enough to come to the game about nine years after its release date (Dec 2009), so my expectations have had plenty of time to be tempered.  That being said... I don't know how I feel about this game.

A lot is made of the fact that most of the game is just running forward.  I'm about four hours in, and so far most of the game has, in fact, been just running forward and fighting battle after battle, broken up by cut scenes.   The game is very much 'on rails.'  In fact, I think this is important to understand:  This isn't really an RPG.  It's more of a Brawler.  (see: Double Dragon, Castle Crashers, TMNT Arcade)

Seen through this lens, the game makes a lot more sense.  Brawlers are typically rn from left to right, with constant battling along the way.  FF XIII is basically the same thing, but with turn based combat instead of action based combat.  

The graphics are incredible. The game is gorgeous to look at.  The enemy design is really cool.  Best looking brawler I've played, and possibly the best looking game.  The combat is pretty cool.  While on the one hand, it's not very involved - I've mostly been mashing the attack button, on the other hand, there have been some unfolding complexities as I've gone along.  It's getting more and more interesting as I play.

One noteworthy thing about the combat is that you only control one character.  It is turn based, active time battle in FF tradition, however, the other members of your party have roles they are assigned and play out.  Closer to Secret of Mana (SNES) or Star Ocean 2 (PS1).  But more complex than either of those games.

The characters and story though?  So far, not great.   So far there are five characters.  I sort of like three of the characters.  Really dislike one character, and mildly dislike another.  I'm hoping that through the course of the game, I come to like some of these characters more, but thus far, they are all pretty flat.  Every conversation is just like a retread of their basic personality traits:  "I'm tough and silent.  We'll, I'm overenthusiastic and bullheaded.  Well, I'm shy and nervous," And they just sort of repeat these roles over and again with slightly different dialogue.  The story is pretty confusing and impenetrable so far, and while I think I have a pretty good tolerance for this kind of thing, the dialogue is so bad that it makes the story less interesting. 

I think it's also noteworthy that I haven't played very many dialogue-heavy voice acted games.  So I'm unaccustomed to the level of drama infused into every single interaction in this game.  I hate to say it, but it comes across as childish.

I don't know if I'll make it through FF XIII.  I've shown a low tolerance for long game experiences, and if this is like any other title in the series, it's going to be long.  But the actual gameplay is pretty low-stress so far, so the first four hours went pretty quickly.  Maybe I'll burn out.  I'll be sure to let you know, either way. 

-D

No comments:

Post a Comment