Thursday, December 19, 2019

MIDI Week Singles: "Welcome to the Volume" - Volume (PC, PS4, PSV)


"Welcome to the Volume" from Volume on the PC, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation Vita (2015)
Composer: David Housden
Album: Volume Original Soundtrack
Label: Laced Records
Publisher: Mike Bithell Games
Developer: Mike Bithell Games




I honestly know nothing about the game Volume, and I came upon the soundtrack while browsing what soundtracks were available on Amazon's music service that were composed by David Housden, the guy who composed the music to Thomas Was Alone.  Unfamiliar with the game or the music but already knowing that I loved what music I knew Mr. Housden from, I did not see a way I could go wrong.

The soundtrack started off nice enough, similar in feel but not tone or production level to Thomas Was Alone and then "Welcome to the Volume" came on.  Again, the song starts off similar to what I was expecting from Mr. Housden, although now there was an undertone of something that I would expect to find in a score by Steve Jablonksy a la "The All Spark" from TransformersAnd I was perfectly okay with how the music was going, and then 1:37 hits.  And it hits you hard.  Because there is a sodding choir!

The choir does not actually last that long in the song, coming in at 1:37 and is gone 30 seconds later.  The remainder of the song is actually very similar to Thomas Was Alone if a little bit less electronically sounding.

What I love is how "Welcome to the Volume" caught me off guard, but in all the best ways possible.  It was something completely unexpected, but I delighted in this side of David Housden that I was not familiar with, and I was doubly happy that it was not just his music from that one game that I had played that he scored that I enjoyed.



~JWfW/JDub/Cooking Crack/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment